Episode 19: Show Notes.
This week we talk all about the Maldives. Join the conversation as we take a deep dive into Trevor’s recent family trip to the Maldives, including a detailed look at his flights to and from, his thoughts on Virgin Atlantic food, and hear him tell about the worst mistake (of the entire trip!) he made. With a bit of strategic thinking, we dive into the primary topic of the episode with all things about the Maldivian experience. Trevor chronicles their experience with the St. Regis Maldives Vommuli Resort, from the butler at the airport to the welcome at the hotel, and more! He highlights why the overwater villa was the best redemption (of points) he’s ever made, recounts the champagne sabering tradition, and shares other uniquely Maldivian experiences. In essence, the Maldives offers a foolproof recipe of unparalleled natural beauty, luxurious accommodations, exceptional service, and serene tranquility that makes it an extraordinary destination for an unforgettable vacation! Tune in now to find out more!
Key Points From This Episode:
- [00:00:17] Our topic for this week’s episode: The Maldives!
- [00:00:50] The structure of week’s episode.
- [00:01:20] We jump right in and discuss the flight (and travel) options.
- [00:03:15] Trevor highlights his experience flying from Newark to Singapore.
- [00:04:00] Bulkhead or bust: the difference a bulkhead makes in when flying most Singapore aircraft.
- [00:06:30] The food, flight attendants, and IFE.
- [00:07:00] Thoughts on non-stop or stopovers, if they had to do it again.
- [00:08:55] The next leg: Singapore to Maldives.
- [00:09:15] The flight options back home and what they ended up doing.
- [00:11:11] Using some Travel Hacker cred.
- [00:12:40] The cost of an upgrade (which they did at the terminal).
- [00:14:10] He talks about their overnight in Mumbai and the flight with Virgin Atlantic.
- [00:17:35] Dealing with unruly passengers.
- [00:18:30] The food on Virgin Atlantic from India (‘Virgin Atlantic: In-Flight Food’)!
- [00:20:00] The worst mistake of his entire trip: skipping a meal.
- [00:21:15] A quick note on cabin crew on Virgin Atlantic.
- [00:22:00] Moving on to the main event! The Maldives.
- [00:22:59] The reason Trevor decided to do the Maldives, now.
- [00:23:20] Why the Sheraton is not the Maldives experience.
- [00:24:30] Trevor chronicles their experience with the St. Regis Maldives Vommuli Resort.
- [00:27:14] He equates the experience to the first season of The White Lotus.
- [00:27:22] More about their arrival and Welcome at the hotel (and the kids club offerings!)
- [00:27:40] The “Stuffed Animal” and why it makes the best kind of advertising.
- [00:29:30] The overwater villa: the best redemption Trevor has ever made.
- [00:31:30] A compliment to the staff in Maldives and the charm it adds.
- [00:33:00] More about the amenities and activities on the island.
- [00:34:15] The recipe that makes for an amazing Maldives vacation (according to Tim!)
- [00:35:23] The St. Regis tradition: a champagne sabering ceremony.
- [00:36:59] His overall experience: a feeling of overwhelm.
- [00:37:15] Other special, and uniquely Maldives, experiences.
- [00:41:00] The Maldives as a Mecca for Miles and Points people.
- [00:42:35] Realizing that a vacation to the Maldives will be expensive.
- [00:45:55] Guess the fare!
“[The Maldives] is one of those places where you don’t know until you know!” — @TktweetsKim [0:22:49]
“The Sheraton is not a Maldivian experience, it’s alright, but it’s not why you are flying halfway around the world.” — @tmount [0:23:22]
“[The overwater villa] was probably the best redemption that I’ve ever made. Just based on the enjoyment we got out of it.” — @tmount [0:29:42]
“There are not enough words in the alphabet or at least that I know in the English language, to convey just how pristine the [Maldivian] water is!” — @tmount [0:39:09]
Links Mentioned in Today’s Episode: