Introduction to the Reloadit Safe and Reloadit Bill Payments

Reloadit El Safe

Don’t worry, your money’s safe, just look how impenetrable that safe is.

I’ve been buying plenty of Paypower prepaid visa debit cards this year.  I’ve done so because my closest store sells them on credit, and is a Grocery.  For me, this represents the best deal I’ve seen in quite some time. If you’re unable to capitalize on this deal today’s post offers an alternative which can still reward you with very low Cost Per Mile.

Reloadit Packs

Reload it packs are, for lack of a better term, the lesser known reload pack. While Greendot and Vanilla Reload get all the publicity, +Reloadit are an afterthought.  Think of them as GoBots to Transformers, RC Cola to Coke or Sega’s Master System to Nintendo’s NES.

Introductions aside, Reloadit Packs have always had one real benefit over VR and GDMP’s; some have a $950 purchase limit per $3.95 fee. Coupled with Grocery stores which sell these cards the reloadit packs have an opportunity to drive your cost per mile way down.

Reloadit 950

Keep an eye out for these, some say $20-$500 instead of $40-$950.

I’m also covering them because today, finally, the Reloadit Safe online Bill Payment service launched. It had been set to launch last month, then that was mysteriously pushed to March 6th. I logged in today and was able to take a look around. I’ll go over the basics of the Reload it Safe, discuss why it is inherently not safe, and also go over the Bill Payment feature of the “safe.”

How Reloadit Cards Work

The biggest difference between Reloadit and other reload packs are that you can either load them to one of their supporting prepaid cards, or you can load them into an online “Safe.”

Reloadit How it Works

The “Quick Load” feature works like loading your bluebird with a VR. You input the number on the back of the Reloadit, and also the card number of the debit card you’d like to load, and the money is instantly added to your prepaid card. The list of cards which support reloadit is small you can use it with Paypower Cards, and about a dozen other prepaid cards including many not shown below:

Quick Load Partneres

In addition Reloadit cards can be loaded and used with Evolve Money’s bill payment feature. Big Habitat did a good write-up of this here. As you’ll see later the best way to pay a bill with Reloadit packs is through Evolve.

A Quick Overview of the Safe Service

The reason I’ve been most interested in these is because of the new feature being launching today, the Reloadit Safe Bill Pay.

The thing that interested me most is that if a Reloadit Reload (ugh, that name!) didn’t have to be loaded onto a prepaid card, and could instead be used to pay a credit card bill directly, you could close the loop without worry about your prepaid cards being shut down. I was waiting for the bill payment feature to open so I could test this theory. Unfortunately, using the Bill Payment feature to pay a Credit card not possible.

I still wanted to outline these reload packs because I think it is important to get more unorthodox ways of earning miles out there–especially those which get our CPM down lower. $3.95 for $950 and a Grocery bonus makes this a great way to earn MR. And the new packaging no longer saying “CASH ONLY” which means you’ll have a greater chance at these working for you.  If your store restricts Paypower cards but not these packs this might be an avenue you can use instead you might even want to buy a Paypower card with CASH, and load these to it.

I’ll cover some common questions running through my mind, and possibly through yours:

Will you be able to cycle Thousands through Reloadit Safe? Maybe, but only if you find a bill which can be paid. The FAQ puts these restrictions: “There are no limits on the number of packs in the Safe, but you cannot add more than $2,850 worth of packs to your Safe in one day. You cannot have over $10,000 worth of Packs in your Safe at any given time.”

Could you be shut down from Reloadits? What is really odd is that at no point while using the “safe” is your SSN ever asked for. I went through and did a mock bill payment–also no SSN asked.  Without that I don’t know how they could blacklist you, but always assume the worst, and plan accordingly. Remember the float rule; your account could be blacklistedblacklist your SSN or address, and leave you stuck trying to liquidate through other means.

Which is Better, Evolve or Reloadit? The payees list looks to be identical to me. Unfortunately with Reloadit Bill Payments there is a $1 per Bill fee. Evolve wins this round.

Your Reloadit “Safe” is not Safe

Remember your money is at no time safe in this system.  It is called a Safe, and the money is FDIC insured, but don’t assume it is safe, and don’t assume you can get it back out on your own schedule.  Need proof of how unsafe it is to use this service?

No HTTPS reloadit

Did I mention the “safe” is not safe?

For whatever reason the secure https:// version of the site doesn’t work for me. You shouldn’t ever input sensitive information into a non-secure site. In addition you can hold up to $10,000 in this account–but the password used to secure it cannot use special characters.

From here you can load prepaid cards, keeping your Reloadit Packs in the “safe” and using them by logging into the service.  As far as I can tell the only real benefit is if you have a bill which can be paid by the Reloadit Bill Payment network.  From test searches the payee list looks identical to Evolve’s:

A Search for the term "Chase" with Reloadit Bill Payment.

A Search for the term “Chase” with Reloadit Bill Payment.

The same search for Chase on Evolve

Wrap Up

The Reloadit Reload isn’t a bad product. The price is great, and, as I discussed earlier, you might find that buying them is easier now that they no longer say “Cash Only” on the front.

Separate from the reload packs, there is no real benefit to using the “safe” or the bill Pay feature. The safe is anything but secure, and the bill payment is inferior to Evolve. The whole idea of the safe has me scratching my head a little. Keeping your reload packs on an unsecured website seems like a disaster in the making.  I’m using Reloadit Packs–but I’m being very cautious as I do so.

22 comments for “Introduction to the Reloadit Safe and Reloadit Bill Payments

1. Brandon
    March 6, 2014 at 5:21 pm

So, is it possible to pay credit card bills using the Reloadit Safe?

• Milenomics
      March 6, 2014 at 5:25 pm

Unfortunately not.

2. bluecat
    March 6, 2014 at 5:41 pm

This topic fascinates me. I’m looking for another way to offload besides RiteAid+Paypal and this could be it.

I find all of this hard to follow. Maybe you are trying to avoid the “arrows and circles” explanation, or maybe I am too lazy/stupid/tired to figure it out. Is it too lame to ask for a “here’s what I would do”?

• Milenomics
      March 6, 2014 at 6:01 pm

Blue: I’ll separate out the Reloadit packs and the safe. Reloadit Packs are useful–you can load some prepaid cards with them like you can load Bluebird with Vanilla Reloads.

I can’t figure out a legitimate use of the safe, it really is pretty much useless. Why would anyone use the safe when you can just go to reloadit.com, input the reload number, the prepaid debit card number, and reload your card. They’ve created this safe idea to store the reload numbers. I was hopeful the bill payment was worth using the safe, but it seems to be useless as well.

TL,DR version: Buy reloadits on CC up to $950 and use them to reload your supported debit cards.

• bluecat
        March 6, 2014 at 8:34 pm

Ok, I think I got lost because I sort of gave up on all of the Paypal and GDMP alternates a while ago. (You had done a nice write-up on Paypower but I could not get it to work at the time. I reread things and see that I need to give it another try.)

3 questions: (1)any good reason to do the reloadits if I can get Paypower for $0 fee? (2) are you getting Safeway points on these purchases? (3) Are you using a card with grocery store bonus credits,and if so, which?

Thanks again

• bluecat
          March 7, 2014 at 9:38 am

I am now officially 0 for 2 at Safeway. In a recent trip, I found NO Paypowers for sale without a surcharge. And, though they had reloadits, I did not pull the trigger because the reloadit debit card indicates a monthly fee. How do you get around that?

One of the other debit cards on the rack–cant remember which right now–requires you to give them your SSN. No thanks.

My Safeway *did* have a ~$1000 GDMP for about $5. That can go to Paypal.

• Milenomics
            March 7, 2014 at 9:51 am

Blue: The PayPower Fee hits 30 days after you start using the card–no real way to avoid it that I know of. There have also been multiple reports of the Paypower cards with a fee ringing up without the fee, so you may want to revisit that. I do not know how “touchy” Paypower and Reloadit are on shutdowns–so proceed with caution.

3. Chase
    March 6, 2014 at 6:44 pm

Hi. Care to share where you buy pay power card with cc? I’ve had no luck. Thanks. ;)

• Milenomics
      March 6, 2014 at 6:49 pm

Chase, I’m buying mine at a safe way branded grocery store.

4. March 7, 2014 at 5:49 am

Why does the fee matter? It’s refunded if you use the t-mobile prepaid visa card for reloads over $300. If you buy a reloadit above $500 you’ll likely need manager approval.

• Milenomics
      March 7, 2014 at 7:47 am

William: The fee always matters. ;) Great tip about the T-mobile card refunding your fees. Further proof that the Reloadit Safe is useless, “Please note: Value reloads made from Reloadit Packs that have been placed in the Program Manager’s Reloadit “Safe” are not eligible for any fee credit.” So don’t use the Safe feature with the T-mobile card or you’ll forfeit the fee refund.

Source: T-mobile prepaid cardholder agreement.

• March 7, 2014 at 3:39 pm

I meant that the fee doesn’t matter in terms of the up to $950 reload amount. You’re going to draw unwanted attention by purchasing it in $950 amounts, if you purchase in $500 or less it doesn’t require manager approval.

• Milenomics
          March 7, 2014 at 3:50 pm

Will: I see what you mean, I agree that’s probably the best strategy for the t-mobile card considering the fee waiver. Good stuff.

5. March 8, 2014 at 8:53 am

It seems like this might be good for paying off a HELOC, yes?

• Milenomics
      March 8, 2014 at 8:56 am

I still don’t see the benefit over just using the Reloadit via Evolve. If you can find your bill payment in Evolve as a standard (2 day) bill you can pay for free…this adds $1 to every bill. I feel like I might be missing something obvious about how useful the “safe” is…but I haven’t found a compelling use for it yet.

6. Robert
    May 24, 2014 at 9:03 am

Thanks for this great write-up. I just discovered a source of REloadits and I was researching the best REloadit-compatible prepaid card. Most seem prone to shutdown when billpaying cc.

I can see the charm in REloadit Safe over Evolve for mortgages over $1,000. With Evolve you’ve got to play tricks (multiple accounts/spread out over a few days, etc) to make a mortgage payment. Even then your mortgage company might wrongly apply the payments to principal and you have to wrestle with them each month to get it squared away.

As a result, I was still using Bluebird for paying my mortgage. I think I’ll try migrating that action over to REloadit Safe if I can find my way to reliably purchasing enough REloadits. The $1 fee for one big mortgage payment (with no risk of prepaid card shutdown) is worth it to me.

If you’ve got any better ideas for REloadit compatible prepaid cards I’d be interested in hearing about them though!

• Milenomics
      May 24, 2014 at 9:52 am

Robert: I have successfully pushed about 11k through each of two T-Mobile cards before being shut down. You may want to try those out first, they’re loadable with reloadits, refund you your $3.95 load fee, and offer free bill pay. The biggest negative is that you *will* eventually be shut down… But you’ll get your money back eventually. If you keep a close eye on your card and check it’s status prior to a load you can proactively see the shutdown and just let the card die with a $0 balance.

7. Sherranneller
    June 19, 2014 at 5:13 pm

Okay, here is a valid question! I found an online company that I thought employed me. They had me take two checks to my bank, cash them and then I loaded the money evenly on to three REloadit money packs. I then had to email this so-called company the REloadit Pack Number. The checks were fraud and now I am stuck paying back my band while the crooks got away with the money! How did they get the money off of the card?

• Milenomics
      June 19, 2014 at 5:19 pm

Sherranneller: I’m really sorry to hear you were scammed. The scam you were caught in is called a wire-back scam. For anyone reading this–if someone overpays you for anything–anything at all, it is likely they’re trying to rip you off.

There are plenty of ways to get the money off of the reloadit packs–they probably loaded the packs to a prepaid card and then cashed out the prepaid card via any number of ways. If you haven’t already gotten reloadit involved I would. I won’t give you false hope, there is almost no chance you’ll be able to get your money back, but you should inform everyone (including the police) about this incident. And hopefully you still have the reloadit packs and receipts from their purchase.

8. Miles
    July 5, 2014 at 12:57 pm

Is there a dollar limit of how large a bill can be paid from the Reloadit Safe? I.e., can I pay a mortgage over $1000 without the machinations needed with Evolve?

• Robert
      July 6, 2014 at 2:30 am

Unfortunately the limit is the same as Evolve: $1,000 per payment. I thought Reloadit Safe could be a good way to make mortgage payments too. But because of this limitation the only scenario it could be minorly useful is if you had a loan payment between $500-$1,000 and you didn’t want to risk two separate payments being applied to principal.

I was also unable to add any payees to Reloadit Safe, even those which I was able to add to Evolve, which is strange because the backend is the same – Precash. I called Reloadit customer support, which is awkward in itself because they ask for a Reloadit pack number as opposed to a Reloadit Safe username. But if you have enough persistence you can find your way through the phone tree to a human. After much consternation they finally just referred be to Precash. By that time I realized that payments > $1,000 weren’t possible so I gave up on it.

Bottom line: It took me some time to realize it, but Reloadit Safe is useless to me.

• Milenomics
        July 6, 2014 at 7:52 am

Thanks for this reply. Robert is much more of an authority on the Reloadit safe than I am. I researched it for this post, but never used it. In addition to the issues I outlined in the post, Robert’s experiences show it to similarly be useless versus evolve. And finally, loading up a “safe” only to have the funds locked out would mean a mess on the phone trying to get things untangled. Its own issues aside, Evolve is the way to go.