I like to take a look at where our investement accounts are held each year around this time. Sometimes you can earn a nice bonus for transferring funds in-kind (without realizing tax consequences) by switching brokerages.
Here’s a list of the best bonuses I see at each dollar level at the moment. Some of these expire 12/31/2018, others last until 1/31/2019. Offers tend to recur.
Some are for taxable accounts only, others include retirement accounts.
- Chase Sapphire Banking 60,000 Ultimate Rewards
- Worth ~$900 towards travel for Sapphire Reserve cardholders
- Requires Sapphire credit card
- Might want to get regular banking signup bonus first
- $500 TD Ameritrade (plus up to $150 transfer fee rebate, targeted at TD Bank customers)
$600 Merrill Edge$900 Merrill Edge ($100,000+ earns heightened rewards on certain BofA credit cards if you have a BofA checking acount)
- $1,000 TD Ameritrade (plus up to $150 transfer fee rebate, targeted at TD Bank customers)
- $1,500 TD Ameritrade (plus up to $150 transfer fee rebate, targeted at TD Bank customers)
Are you aware of a better offer at one of these levels? Let us know in the comments.